... PIES! Do you know what they are? They look like this...

... and my friend Chris' mom use to make them when I was younger. He would bring them to school in his lunch box and if I was so lucky, I would get one. They are an old Amish tradition and are delicious. I have never made them but this weekend I saw a mix for them at the grocery store and thought I would give it a shot. I thought for sure that they wouldn't be anything close to the real thing since it was out of a box, but to my surprise they were pretty awesome! Hopefully one day soon I will get the real recipe for them. I wasn't the only one who loved them, these little boys joined in on the fun by being my taste testers...
Chuckles


YES... It's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing! It's also become a Brubaker/Gochnauer thing... at least I learned about whoopie pies through the (Nancy) Gochnauer's. Both Adam's parents are from PA... Adam's Grandma makes AMAZING whoopie pies (she's surrounded by Amish) & taught her daughter's how to make the real deal. Adam's mom introduced them to me & they were delicious! It's a tradition to always have Grandma Brubaker's whoopie pies when we visit & Adam always eats WAY too much! While we were in PA this year we stopped at a Starbuck's drive-thru & saw a pic of a whoopie pie on their menu & Adam HAD to order it! (We thought it was just the Starbucks in PA... since it's a PA thing! But apparently their in most all stores now.) We got it & it was NO bigger than an oreo cookie!!! We were so disappointed, however we had Grandma's!
ReplyDeleteI know this is very random....but I ran across your blog while trying to create my own! My husband and I are expecting twin boys in July. I loved your blog and had tears in my eyes reading it. I was wondering if you had any tips on how to survive the process from birth to where you are now. I look forward to hearing back from you! LKPhillips628@aol.com
ReplyDelete